Saturday, July 19, 2008

Daily fix 2



So I want to come clean about about my earlier discussion about Starbucks.  Indeed the green siren has replaced the golden arches as the indelible American thumbprint across the world, and pending the ice analysis from Mars, the Milky Way.  Most likely that title will remain even after they shutter 616 stores.  But their mass is what appeals to me - the fact they are everywhere and you know exactly what your order will taste like - whether it's from store #0000001 at Pike's Market in Seattle, or from the store recently opened in the ninth circle of hell.  So no matter where I order my venti-skinny-vanilla-latte, it will taste just like the last.

With that said, my true coffee loyalties lay with Peet's.  The Berkeley based chain has forged an image of being the holistic, organic and more "granola" alternative to the big bad corporate Starbucks.  Don't let the Berkeley address fool you - they are run by suits just like SBUX.   Even so, I prefer their products.  I like the taste of their coffee, the mood of their stores, and out of some sort of loyalty to a Bay Area business, want to support the local enterprise.  One thing to know about me - I am a sucker for good branding and marketing.  I am the perfect consumer.


No comments: