Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Golden State?


I read this today and what we have all speculated is here: $5/gal. for gas.  We Californians are always blazing new trails - from Silicon Valley to Hollywood.  But this is one trail I wish we would have avoided. Why can't Indiana have taken the lead on this one?

Now mind you I drive a hybrid.  Actually, a hybrid-lite - Camry Hybrid.  So even with an average of 35 MPG I'm still forking over $55-$60 every time to fill it's tanks.  That adds up. That's dipping into my essential disposable income budget.  

We have all been lamenting the cost of fuel lately.  Indeed it is impacting everything we do,  even if you don't drive.  Check the cost of flying or milk these days?   Way more than last year.  So hybrid or not, the cost of transporting goods (including myself and the passengers in my car) has skyrocketed.  How are people making ends meet?  This economy scares me.

And being a resident of Ahnold's Kingdom just adds to it.  It's expensive here especially in the Bay Area where our faux elite lifestyle and over inflated cost of living has pushed the middle class even lower than everywhere else.  Ironically, we have an oil refinery within sight of the Golden Gate Bridge, yet we clamored to be first with $5/gal. gas well on our way to $6/gal. We (rather, the oil dudes) would hate for whomever is in second place to catch up.  Gouging much?

Not so golden.




No comments: