Sunday, July 20, 2008

I was attacked in my backyard today


A gang of thugs assaulted me in my backyard today.  It was relentless. It was quick.  It was adorable.

I was brought down by puppies.

When I was 4, I prayed to the baby Jesus for a puppy.  It seems 40 years later he is finally filling my order and paying me with interest.  In fact, there were three puppies in varying shades of brown and fluffiness who attacked me with yelps and nibbles.  I was helpless.  They won.

Now that the "awwwwww-ing" is over, the truth is, these aren't my puppies.  They are my neighbor's.  She has a whole fleet of pups and somehow, these lawless three, burrowed escape tunnels from their yard into mine.  For as quickly as they appeared, they vanished yapping all the way.

So as tempted as I was to keep the cutest one, I didn't  In fact I plugged the holes with rocks to keep the marauders at bay.  Clearly my neighborhood isn't safe.  My backyard is accessible to trespassers.  Maybe I need a dog.

No comments: