Friday, July 25, 2008

Hole in the sky


A QANTAS 747-400 enroute to Melbourne from Hong Kong popped a hole at 29,000 feet, decompressing a cargo bay sending suitcases and contraband hurling toward the South China Sea.  The little yellow masks deployed and the pilots immediately executed emergency landing procedures which include pushing the plane into an unsettling but safe dive to get below 10,000 feet where the oxygen level is acceptable to breathe without the use of masks.  No passengers were injured but I am sure there were a lot of soiled seats when the plane touched down in Manila, as if the thought of landing in the Philippines itself wasn't enough to wet oneself out of horror.

Now my twisted ass ' favorite part of this story isn't the dramatic efforts of the pilots to save the jet from catastrophe, rather I'd like to have been present to watch the stupid items people pack  - from the cheap, knock off  Gucci bags, to Aussiebum underwear, to shoddy Chinese electronics bought in a HK market, and to possibly more Mr. Potato Heads filled with esctasy  rain from the sky.  All that secret stuff we don't want our friends and family knowing about all of a sudden being exposed and dropped into the sea - where pirates and other ambitious scavengers can collect.  I'd like to get some of that shit and sell it on eBay - "Dildo recovered from the China Sea from the QANTAS jet incident. Bids start at $200. Paypal accepted."

Most certainly this incident was traumatic for the passengers and crew.  I am not insensitive to that.  I grew up in an airline household and my partner is a flight attendant.  I myself  travel frequently and if this were to happen to me, well, it wouldn't be pretty.  Just my luck some other like-minded blogger would have a field day with what falls out of my suitcase, let alone my shrieking and overly-dramatic "goodbyes" would somehow make it's way onto You Tube.

In all seriousness, I wish the passengers the best and am thankful they arrived safely.  To the crew, damn, you are the heroes and I applaude you.

And to the pirates, what's the opening bid for Mr. Potato Head?


No comments: