Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fire in the Dark


Tonight Sam and I went to see The Dark Knight; in IMAX no less.  Holy shit what an amazing movie.  From start to finish it hooks you in.  In fact,they don't even bother with opening credits.  All the elements come together from the plot to the cinematography to the music to the script to the acting.  

As we all know, this is Heath Ledger's last role and he is fucking brilliant.  His rendition of the Joker scares the hell out of you because it's that "I -have-nothing-to-lose-I'm-in-this-to-just-wreck-havoc" type of insanity.  His crazy is balanced with evil and a wry humor.  The late actor's performance is balanced by his talented co-stars:  Christian Bale (is the a role he cannot do? I even loved him in Reign of Fire);  Aaron Eckhart (hot!); Morgan Freeman (the most prolific actor in Hollywood); Gary Oldman (my favorite - the Fifth Element)  and Michael Caine (I loved him as that crazy, pot smoking, farting dude in Children of Men).  Oh yeah, Jake's sister Maggie  (the other Gyllenhal - so Heath screwed Jake in Brokeback and screwed-over Maggie in Dark Knight) reprised the role of Rachel.  I wonder why Katie Holmes didn't do the sequel?  Why don't you ask this whack-job. He is just as insane as Ledger's Joker.

I won't repeat what every other geek blog and reviewer has said.  The film delivers.  Go see it.  






No comments: