Thursday, July 17, 2008

Where the hell is Pacifica?

I live in Pacifica but I might as well say Timbuktu.

When I am asked where I live and I respond with "Pacifica," the response from the inquisitor results in a raised eyebrow and a cartoon question mark of their head.

"Where...?"

Pacifica, as I describe it, is a "stoner-surfer-blue collar city 15 miles south of San Francisco along the coast."   I guess I feel it needs that string of adjectives to give it a character to justify me living here.  Clearly so close to San Francisco it would be easier for to simply say "San Francisco" and right away people understand.   But this explanation of the 94044 is not only intended for residents outside the area.  Citizens of San Francisco might know where Pacifica is but almost always respond with a "way out there?' as if those 15 miles were taking them to Tucson.

Take a look at the picture above.  I took this on a Virgin America flight.  The little cove you see (by the nacelle) is Pacifica.  The metro area immediately above it is San Francisco.  See?! Not that far.

So now you know where the hell it is.

No comments: