Sunday, August 3, 2008

Being lazy


This past weekend was the annual pilgrimage to the Russian River of gay men of all shapes, sizes and degree of hairiness known as Lazy Bear.  Initially established as the anti-pretty boy gay event for those of us who aren't gym toned with a 28" waist, waxed and perfect, it has evolved to include both the former group and the latter group.  This was my second year and I had an absolute blast.  In spite of the name, I wasn't very lazy.

Sam and I ventured north Wednesday night and settled into a small rented house in an adjacent township to Gurneville (Lazy Bear ground zero) known as Monte Rio.  It's a David Lynch-esque type of town where the movie theater is in a temporary corrugated metal shelter and the local artisans specialize in homemade soap and crystal meth.  The house was cute and we rented it with another couple, Dan and Bill, from Phoenix.  Aside from sleeping and eating Lucky Charms, we were mostly in the Lazy Bear mix back in Guerneville.

I won't recount every detail, but suffice to say we never slowed down except to sleep.  I am surprised to see how many people I knew up there - so many friends both old and new initially met from on-line mingling but most from Sam. I don't think I have ever kissed so many bearded faces in my life.  The weekend was festive, sunny, and an excuse to be as half dressed as much as possible.  And because the weekend celebrates the "bear", those gay dudes who don't give a fuck about waxing and carbs, Sam and I ate and ate and laughed and mingled and danced a little in our underwear (what can I say? When in Rome...).  Sam and I have a lot of fun together.  God, I love that man.

I did approach the weekend with a certain expectation of being lazy. I even brought a book picturing poolside quiet time.  What was I thinking?  As Sam always says: Gays can't do anything without a 4-4 [disco] beat.  Not so quiet.  Oh well. The weekend was a recipe of permeating disco, laughing dudes of all sizes, bulging speedos,  hot tattoos, the requisite gay summer camoflauge cargo short,  and the smell of coconut tanning oil and hamburgers grilling.  I've never had so much fun by just being lazy.

For more Lazy Bear pics, click here.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making Sam happy.

You both look so good. And seeing him healthy and in a great place with his life and with an amazing person, it makes me very pleased and strangely proud.

He's come a long way.

Tina
(i'm linked on his site but I don't do the blogger thing much so I had to go 'anonymous')

ps: you two together is a WHOLE lot of good looking, jesus :)