Sunday, August 17, 2008

Should I stay or should I go?


I currently live in Pacifica which is about 12 miles south of San Francisco along the coast. It's a cozy little stoner-blue collar-surf town. I own a small rancher house in the Linda Mar area, 1/2 mile from the beach, with a little slice of land. I love my house; gayed it up real nice with hardwood floors, a new kitchen and lots of mid-century furniture and tchockies. I live on a great street with cool neighbors and when the sky is clear, I can see stars forever in the dark of night. Once in awhile wild deer wander down my street. During the spring frogs sing their horny croaks. I'm 10 minutes from a nude beach, 15 minutes to SFO Airport, 20 minutes to downtown San Francisco. It's green here and a great place to live.

So why the hell am I thinking about moving?

The flip side to the idyllic description above is the fact that Pacifica is devoid of any shopping or culture (not counting Starbucks, Safeway and Taco Bell on-the-beach), poor public transportation, and shrouded by miserable fog. As much as I love my house, it was built in the 1950's and things require frequent fixning. I don't have a green thumb and have yet to develop my backyard. Since I work from home, I have no commute to a sunnier locale so when we have weeks upon weeks of grey, chilly fog, I find myself moody and down. I don't surf - the water is way too cold and am convinced in a wetsuit I'll closely resemble a slow-moving elephant seal to a lazy Great White. I almost think I have too much space here. And last, friends who reside in the City are less likely to come visit as it requires a car.

So recently I have been thinking about selling and moving to San Francisco - possibly loft-living. Less space, new everything, within walking of commerce and possibly public transportation. Things with Sam are quite serious - he rocks my boat in every direction - and the possibility is there to be cohabitants in sin. So public transportation is essential. I have started to look for places to compare, but am torn as to what to do. Stay in this place, or sell and move to a more urban life.

What do you think?

No comments: