Saturday, August 23, 2008

What happened to VH!?


This morning while making love to my coffee, I flipped on VH1. There on the screen was I Love Money where people named "Toastee", "Real", "Bootz" and "White Boy" screamed and flexed for some purpose that still eludes me. The obvious would be for money (hence the name of the show), but there wasn't any mention of it in the vapid dialogue I watched. Up next? The Cho Show. Now I won't be critical as I love Margaret. Her show is a riot but unfortunately she is plopped in the middle of VH1's campy line up.

After our favorite Korean is New York Goes To Hollywood (actual quote: "What do you know about Japanese Culture?" New York: "Well, I love Thai food.") followed by Glam God with Vivica A. Fox, then Brooke Knows Best. Essentially, one tragic woman making a fool of herself after another for our amusement and like a bloody train wreck, I am hooked.

Does anybody remember when VH1 played music? Now we can say the same of the other music channel, but once upon a time, VH1 showed the vids for those who outgrew the poppy shit on MTV. Seemingly overnight VH1 switched to reality camp. Did I sleep through that memo?

MTV's first video played was the Buggles' Video Killed the Radio Star. Time to remake this song?

No comments: