Saturday, August 30, 2008

History repeating itself?


Three years ago this week that bitch Katrina flooded New Orleans and demonstrated how weak our current administration really is in disaster preparedness. Now, here comes Gustav. If he continues his lumber northwest, he show what we have, or have not learned in the past three years. Are we ready? That remains to be seen.

I have not been to New Orleans in 20 years. But a recently my job includes duties in the state of Louisiana, so the impacts of the 'canes are even more relevant to me now. As a native Californian and a resident of the Bay Area, I am not accustomed to dealing with routine, but intense, weather patterns. Sure I have lived through my share of earthquakes and a few rainstorms, but have never experienced the immense energy of a hurricane. The only weather I have had to endure in the last 6 months has been this annoying fog. So I have no expertise on the subject - I am just a spectator watching it unfold on CNN and the Weather Channel. I have no idea what evacuating is like. I wish everyone well.

Good luck to New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast. There are those who are there for Southern Decadence. Finish the hurricane and get the hell out before the real one hits.

No comments: